
After camps today, I was preparing for tomorrow's camp, and cleaning up from todays, when another teacher came into the office to give some very shocking, devastating news. Our principal, Mrs. Joung nam Sook, was killed in a car accident this morning on her way into school. It was all very sudden, obviously, so the teachers were very upset. Many of them went to the hospital together to pay respects to her husband. The visitation here, in this case anyways, is 3 days long at the hospital and then the funeral sometime after that. I am going with an English teacher tomorrow after camps to give my condolences to her husband and family.
I just hope that you can all keep the family and teachers in your thoughts and prayers right now.
I will tell you a little about Mrs. Joung. She came to my English class that I gave on Fridays only a few times, but she was always very sweet to me and said that she liked me on the first day! She often brought tangerines for all the teachers and had them delivered to our offices. She was a very beautiful Korean woman. She talked often about how she visited her elderly parents in the country and brought them their favourite foods because they had difficulty cooking for themselves. The last time I talked to her, I met her on the way into school about two weeks ago. She had a rolling suitcase and her other hand was full with bags. I offered to carry something but she said, "no, Im ok!" She was a very strong and independant women, shown especially in her position as principal, which is not all that common in schools here yet. I know she'll be missed by many.
In the above picture, Mrs. Joung Nam Sook is the middle woman. We are visiting a temple in the Eastern province with all the teachers just before Christmas.
5 comments:
Karen, Katy told us - and I am so very sorry. We will pray for her family/friends as well as the school and staff. (Mary Lou)
Hey Karen,
That is indeed shocking news, being a principal myself makes it a bit closer for me perhaps. Thanks for taking a moment to tell us about her. She sounds like she was a remarkable woman. My condolances also to her family.
Ron Donkersloot
Hi Karen,
How sad for you & everyone at your school! We pray that God will be with you as you deal with this issue and also helping your students deal with it as well.
She sounded like a wonderful person. Take care, Love you!
Mom & Dad
Dear Karen,
Oh, man. Our condolences to you, the staff, the students and her family. We will pray for you as you go through this with the students and staff too. We will pray for the principal's family too. May God be your Comfort and Strength now and always. May you be used for God's service through this too. Take care!
love aunt annette
Dear Karen. I've just read your blog again today, and my thoughts and prayers are with you, the girls, teachers, and the family of your school's principal. May God be your strength, hope and peace now and in the days to come.
Aunt Jennifer
Post a Comment